The travelling exhibition From the Venus of Petřkovice to the Dolní Vítkovice Area, which is organized as a part of the celebrations of the 750th anniversary of the first written mention of Ostrava, has moved to another two city districts. In March, the exhibition will be on display in Town Halls of city districts Hrabová and Svinov. Both exhibitions will last until the end of March. (more…)
On average, 560 people per day and 700 during weekends. The exhibition of crown jewels in the Ostrava City Museum has been a huge success. From 9 December to 5 March, it was visited by whopping 24,368 visitors! This many visitors sometimes visit the museum during a whole year. And already on 23 March begins another highlight – a unique exhibition called Ostrava Unseen. (more…)
Local artisans, mostly honourable citizens and proprietors of the houses on the square, significantly contributed to the prosperity of Ostrava. (more…)
The exhibition Crown Jewels in the World History, organized by the Ostrava City Museum, breaks visitor records. Since its launch in December last year, more than 13,000 visitors came to see it. On average, 560 people come to see the crowns every day and 700 during weekends. The usual daily average is 40 visitors. (more…)
Ing. Jiří Kašpárek
The events of the war, the occupation of Czechoslovakia by Nazi Germany, the Holocaust and the liberation struggle directly influenced the lives of all citizens of Michálkovice. (more…)
During the year, the travelling exhibition From the Venus of Petřkovice to the Dolní Vítkovice Area will stop in all city districts. We will gradually post pictures from some of them.
The base of the city and up to this day also its natural centre is formed by Moravian Ostrava. The first mention of this locality comes from the testament of the Bishop of Olomouc from 29 November 1267. In January 1279, it was mentioned as a town where the Bishop of Olomouc was currently residing.
Do you have an idea how to celebrate the 750th anniversary of the first written mention of Ostrava? Then you may be eligible for the grant programme adopted by the city. There are 850,000 Czech Crowns ready to support cultural projects and events that will commemorate the history of the City of Ostrava in a dignified and appealing manner. (more…)
The travelling exhibition Od Petřkovické venuše k Dolní oblasti (From the Venus of Petřkovice to the Dolní Vítkovice Area), which is organized as a part of the celebrations of the 750th anniversary of the first written mention of Ostrava, will be on display in Michálkovice and Krásné Pole in February. In Michálkovice, the exhibition was opened on 3 February at the library and will finish on 28 February. The opening was attended by the mayor of the city district Michálkovice Martin Juroška.
Director of the Archives of the City of Ostrava Blažena Przybylová shows the oldest relics from the history of Ostrava.
The exhibition displays dozens of unique replicas of crown jewels from major empires in Europe, Asia, America and Africa. It has never been as extensive as it is now in the Ostrava City Museum.
We know the story of how Ostrava was born. You can learn about it from a video prepared by children from the QQ CLUB – creative film workshop.
Božena Vopařilová, one of the teachers that taught at a girl’s primary school II in Mariánské Hory before World War II, was a very popular teacher; students loved her. . (more…)
Mgr. Dagmar Jelenová
Many books and articles have already been written about the old Ostrava. They deal with the first discovery of coal, the magnificent Art Nouveau architecture or the mammoth industrial giants. I would like to focus on an overview of the life of people in the neighbourhoods of Ostrava. (more…)
We lived on the border of the then Muglinov and Silesian Ostrava, in the last house on Zahradní Street, which was later renamed Družstevní, on the Ostravice riverbank. Nowadays there is the Retirement Home Kamenec instead (more…)
There are three universities in Ostrava: VŠB – Technical University of Ostrava, University of Ostrava and College of Entrepreneurship and Law; together they have nearly 28,000 students.
In terms of both population and area, Ostrava is the third largest city in the Czech Republic. It is located 10 kilometers south of the Polish border and 50 kilometers west of the Slovak border.
The mammoth hunters had their encampments on Landek Hill already in the Paleolithic Age, as evidenced by numerous archaeological finds. The most important discovery is a 48-mm-high torso of a female figure from hematite known as the Venus of Petřkovice.
The coat of arms with the horse, which is so characteristic for Ostrava, has been around for a very long time. It is displayed on the oldest surviving Ostrava seal, which is on a document from publisher Lorek of Šonov and his brother Mikuláš and dates to 11 November 1426.
In the Middle Ages, Ostrava was an important centre for episcopal villages in its vicinity. Its core consisted of a quadrangular square that is preserved in the same place today (Masaryk Square).
The travelling exhibition called From the Venus of Petřkovice to the Dolní Vítkovice Area is organized as a part of the celebrations of the 750th anniversary of the first written mention of Ostrava. Gradually, it will be displayed in all city districts. It depicts the most important milestones in the history of the city and of the district, in which it is displayed at the time. (more…)