Some of the city districts also have a long history

Some of the city districts also have a long history
Celebrations of 750 years of Svinov.

The base of the city and up to this day also its natural centre is formed by Moravian Ostrava. The first mention of this locality comes from the testament of the Bishop of Olomouc from 29 November 1267. In January 1279, it was mentioned as a town where the Bishop of Olomouc was currently residing.

(more…)

Ostrava favours students

Ostrava favours students
First doctors graduated in Ostrava in 2016

There are three universities in Ostrava: VŠB – Technical University of Ostrava, University of Ostrava and College of Entrepreneurship and Law; together they have nearly 28,000 students.
(more…)

Settlement sites date back to the prehistoric times

Settlement sites date back to the prehistoric times
A reminder of mammoth hunters at Landek

The mammoth hunters had their encampments on Landek Hill already in the Paleolithic Age, as evidenced by numerous archaeological finds. The most important discovery is a 48-mm-high torso of a female figure from hematite known as the Venus of Petřkovice.
(more…)

The first Ostrava seal with the picture of a horse

The first Ostrava seal with the picture of a horse
A document with the horse seal from 1426

The coat of arms with the horse, which is so characteristic for Ostrava, has been around for a very long time. It is displayed on the oldest surviving Ostrava seal, which is on a document from publisher Lorek of Šonov and his brother Mikuláš and dates to 11 November 1426.
(more…)