In the Middle Ages, Ostrava was an important centre for episcopal villages in its vicinity. Its core consisted of a quadrangular square that is preserved in the same place today (Masaryk Square).
In 1362, King and Emperor Charles IV granted Ostrava the right to hold a 16-day-long annual market. This privilege increased the prestige of Ostrava, which enabled this town on the left bank of the River Ostravice to become an important point on the map of medieval merchants in the 14th century.
In the picture is the original charter of Chares IV from 17 May 1362.