Pub on the Salt Road is the oldest one in Ostrava

Pub on the Salt Road is the oldest one in Ostrava

Do you know which of the Ostrava’s pubs is the oldest? It is the restaurant U Zlatého lva in Pustkovec. It was opened on the ‘day after St. Martin’ (12 November) in 1769 as a coaching inn on the so-called Salt Road that led from Wieliczka to Vienna. The inn served for accommodation and recreation of the coachmen and stabled teams of horses for mail coaches to replace tired horses with fresh teams. It was originally built by Mathes Pleva, but Johannes Křibek bought it for six thousand gold coins in 1881, and the family of Křibeks has been running it ever since. Between 1921 and 1936, Valentin Držkovic, a prominent Czech painter and brother-in-law of the then owner of the restaurant, lived and painted in the inn and was often visited by poet Petr Bezruč, who even wrote a poem to celebrate the restaurant.

On the occasion of the 750th anniversary of the first written mention of Ostrava, a memorial plaque was revealed on the U Zlatého lva restaurant on 7 June that informs of its long history. The ceremony was hosted by Mayor of Ostrava Tomáš Macura and Mayor of Pustkovec Stanislav Pyš. Current owners of the pub, Jana and Jaroslav Křibeks, were present as well. ‘We are celebrating 750 years since the first written mention of the city and we organize many major events on this occasion. But history is also about small things, and that is great,’ said Mayor Macura.