The base of the city and up to this day also its natural centre is formed by Moravian Ostrava. The first mention of this locality comes from the testament of the Bishop of Olomouc from 29 November 1267. In January 1279, it was mentioned as a town where the Bishop of Olomouc was currently residing.
Although the first written mentions of the today’s four parts of the city date from the period before 1267 (Silesian Ostrava 1229, Plesná 1255, Hrušov 1256, Svinov 1265), the city of Ostrava, which was later given the epithet Moravian, had a dominant position among them since the Middle Ages. The integration process taking place between 1924 and 1976 accounted for connecting 33 formerly independent municipalities to Moravian Ostrava, which since 1946 has been called only Ostrava, without the epithet Moravian, because municipalities from the Silesian part became part of it.
In the picture is a photo of the celebrations of 750 years of Svinov.