The coat of arms with the horse, which is so characteristic for Ostrava, has been around for a very long time. It is displayed on the oldest surviving Ostrava seal, which is on a document from publisher Lorek of Šonov and his brother Mikuláš and dates to 11 November 1426.
This document with the seal also documents the existence of a municipal office.
Cities have been using coats of arms from their very beginnings in the Early Middle Ages. It was often granted by the monarch as a certain honour and privilege. Seal matrixes with a coat of arms were used to confirm important documents; coats of arms also adorned town and military flags.
In the picture is the sealed document from 1426